How to eat healthy during the holidays without feeling deprived of all the goodies . . . .
1. Plan Ahead - Knowing when your holiday events are will help you to decide if you should have a dessert with lunch or Starbucks for breakfast. Save your “good eats” for the party and be disciplined during the rest of the week. For example : We have December birthday celebrations this Thursday afternoon. :)
2. Drink plenty of Water - You should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day to stay hydrated. Before fixing your plate, have a glass of water.
3. Keep moving - If you are already involved in a fitness plan, don’t stop. If you are not involved in a fitness plan, walk with friends or family this season to help with extra calorie intake.
4. Skip the seconds - Seconds may seem like a good idea, but after you finish them you will be miserable and stuffed. Is the pain worth the gain? Wait about 20 minutes before heading back to the food line.
5. Fill up on the healthy stuff first - After you eat your protein and veggies, eat the breads, sweets and pasta. The veggies will help fill you up so you have less room for the other stuff.
6. Don’t drink your calories - The sweet tea, alcohol, egg nog and other holiday beverages will add up more quickly than you think. Make it a rule to have only 1 non-water beverage at each holiday gathering.
Enjoy the holidays, but not at the expense of your health.
Schedule an appointment by calling 972-290-1507 to help you get your health back on track.